Chickpea Veggie Saute
I came home from work today tired, hungry, and uninspired, so I threw together some vegetables and chickpeas. It turned out pretty well, and I paired the bowl with some homemade sweet potato fries that I dipped in organic ketchup and mustard. A very random meal, but it hit the spot so perfectly! I will definitely be making this quick dish again. The measurements and times are rough estimates since I just kind of tossed it together! It’s not important to follow the recipe exactly - use your instinct.
What you need for one serving:
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup Brussels sprouts, bottoms trimmed and cut in half
- 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1/2 cup cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 cup kale, torn into bite-size pieces
- Sea salt, pepper, garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
What to do:
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat and pour in enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Toss in the Brussels sprouts - these take a while to fully cook through since they are fairly dense. Keep sauteing for about 5 minutes until they start to brown, then add the tomatoes and chickpeas.
- Saute for another 3 minutes until the tomatoes become a bit softer and the chickpeas brown. At this point, add in the kale, which should cook in no time, probably about 2-3 minutes.
- Season with sea salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste, and fully mix the spices into the vegetables and chickpeas.
- Serve in a bowl and then add the lemon juice, making sure it saturates the veggies.