Humans don’t need a god to live
Humans don’t need meat to live
Humans don’t need dairy to live
Humans don’t need money to live
Humans don’t need cars to live
Humans don’t need tv to live
- Katy Perry might as well just have been singing “LONG TIIIIIIIIIME I WILL LOVE YOU LONGGGGG TIMMMEEEEEEEEE” and mixing up her L and R sounds. That is how horrendously racist this performance was.
- This is absolutely no different than Miley Cyrus’ use of black female bodies in her We Can’t Stop music video and VMAs performance or Lily Allen’s use of black female bodies in her Hard Out Here music video or Selena Gomez’s use of South Asian culture in her Come And Get It music video. All of these videos and performances co-opt aspects of different cultures, cartoonize them, and then marginalize people from those cultures.
- I really honestly hope to see every single white feminist who vocally criticized Cyrus and Allen and Gomez out in full force against Katy Perry’s racist AMAs performance as well. Walk the talk.
- It is not a coincidence that the messages of Gomez’s Come And Get It and Perry’s Unconditionally are being used in conjunction with Orientalist imagery from Asian cultures. The literal messages from these songs — “when you’re ready come and get it” and “I will love you unconditionally” — are ripe for being used to feed the racist western stereotype that all Asian women are constantly sexually available and willingly subservient to men.
- When Perry bows and puts her hands together and cocks her head a little singing “I will love you unconditionally” at the end bit is just the subservient sexual availability of Asian women as it is understood in the west translated into pop choreography. That is what that is.
- This song is not an homage to Japanese culture. It is simply an orientalist portrayal of the Greatest Hits of Japanese Culture As (Mis)Understood in the West: there are geisha in vaguely kimono-looking-garments, paper parasols, imagery from the Great Wave off Kanagawa, and a torii. Nothing about it is truly authentic or respectful.
- This performance was a trainwreck and Katy Perry is a giant racist.Hey hey guys Fun fact That’s probably not what she meant, she probably just took a song and stuck it with some imagery she liked. Maybe you don’t like that, and I guess I can see a problem if you want to be that way. But not everyone is as perfect as you fucks, and this isn’t as problematic as you make it seem stop whining about dumb shit like this and do something to help people who are actually oppressed. Seriously. Maybe someone would take you seriously.
lol wow guys apparently the oversexualization of Asian women and the Orientalist lens through which Americans view all Asian cultures as interchangeable isn’t a problem! nope better focus on real tangible things right guys